Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Library card and the Café Literarios

Just recently I signed up for library membership.  Providencia (one of the main comunas in the city center) has a small number of Café Literarios (Literary Cafes) where you can relax and find books and other reading materials.  These places are a bit different than US libraries, in that they are more like, well, cafés.  You can find a few books here, but they are mainly places to relax and read or work on your computer.

The membership cost me about USD$20 and is good for a year.  After I got my membership I found out just how small (and poor) the library collection is -- they don't have any books-on-tape!
One of the Cafe Literarios, found in the center of Parque Bustamante, just south of the main Santiago hub (Baquedano and Plaza Italia).
A good place to sit, read a newspaper, drink a coffee or surf the web.
The upstairs, with a long table for computers and stands of books.  The size of the book collection leaves a bit to be desired.

The second-floor walkway out the back of the building, with a beautiful view.
The view south through the park.


The official registration form (no library card issued, I'll just use my Chilean ID).

No comments:

Post a Comment